Case Studies

Stowe School Art Block, Buckinghamshire

Stowe School was originally the country seat of the Dukes of Buckingham and Chandos and was transformed to become a school by J.F.Roxburgh in 1923.

Amateur architect, Clough Williams-Ellis was instrumental in turning an empty 18th. century palace into a boarding school and many well-known and rising architects have added their mark.
 
The latest stage of its development included the refurbishment of the Art School to provide modern, light teaching spaces for varying art themes. Whilst the existing listed structure was retained, additional floor areas have been formed at second floor level to the east and west wings and the two storey gallery has been reformed to form a large naturally lit activity area.
 
Rooms have been reconfigured and new finishes, heating, lighting, fixtures and fittings provided. A particular feature of the development is the staircase which is enclosed timber from ground to first floors and open curved steel up to the second floor.

return

transparent gif